Toenail fungus is very common among men, sick patients, people with diabetes and elderly individuals. It is a type of infection that affects the toenails. While it is not a deadly disease, it can cause extreme pain and discomfort. It can also trigger other fungus and bacterial infection that can affect other parts of the body.
Signs and Symptoms
At first, the infection manifests as small yellow or white spots inside the nail. These spots are the fungal bodies that grow on the nail bed. If the infection is not treated, the condition worsens. The infected toenails grow thicker. Over time, the nails crumble around the edges which triggers more severe infections. The fungal infested nail will show signs of discoloration. They appear more yellow than the regular nails.
Natural Remedies of Toenail Fungus
Doctors often prescribe oral anti-fungal medication as well as topical creams and medicated nail polish to help treat the infected nails. However, there are a quite number of natural remedies that you can try. Most of the natural ingredients that can help manage toenail fungus are normally found in your homes.
- White Vinegar. This ordinary cooking ingredient is common in every household kitchen. It is very potent in treating toenail fungus. Its acidity and antiseptic properties help fight other possible infections. Mix two parts of water and one part of white vinegar. Use this solution as a foot soak for around 15 minutes. Rinse and dry your foot. Repeat this process twice a day until the infection is gone.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. Similar to the white vinegar, the apple cider vinegar works by killing the fungal bodies. Unlike the white vinegar foot soak, you should mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar. You should soak your foot in the solution for 30 minutes.
- NutraPure Fungus Clear – click to read the description of this treatment and real costumer reviews.
- Lemon Juice. Lemon contains a high amount of citric acid, a substance known for its strong antiseptic and antifungal properties. You can use a lemon wedge to get rid of the stubborn fungal growth under your toenails. Squeeze a wedge and apply the judge directly on the infected nail.
- Baking Soda. This ingredient is not only used to make bread or pastries. Often times, it is used by many homeowners to draw out moisture inside the cabinets and even inside shoes. Because fungi rely on the moisture present on your feet, you can use baking soda to get rid of them. Mix half a cup of baking soda with hydrogen peroxide, Epsom salt, vinegar and water. Soak the affected toes for 10 minutes every day until you are healed.
- Garlic a very popular ingredient used in alternative medicine because of its very strong anti-fungal ingredients – ajoene and allicin. Mix white vinegar with garlic oil, and apply it on the affected nails. Cover it with a mesh gauge or a bandage and leave it for a few hours.
- Apart from being used as a mouthwash product, Listerine is also excellent to use when you have toenail fungal infection. Since it contains plenty of antibacterial ingredients and alcohol, it can also function as an effective antiseptic. Mix equal parts of white vinegar and Listerine in a small tub and soak your feet for 30 minutes every day until the fungal infection is totally gone.